Sunday, January 23, 2011

Forward Progress

So I have been meaning to post something on here for a couple months now, but something about tonight made me sit down and really want to write.

It sure has been crazy here..it's hard to even know where to start. The end of the year brought many things for me, but most of all it has given me a better understanding of life and of people. There were many deaths in the last two months of this year and it was definitely a very trying time for everyone. It's funny how death makes you think about so many people in your life and about your relationships with them. You never know when someone is going....so you have to treat people the way you want them to remember you. I wish I would have really taken this into account at some critical points in my life, but that is something that I will live with.

My car troubles have seemed endless. First the Oldsmobile was totaled last year, then the Buick rotting out from the axles up, and then the blue bomber's engine being shot....it was difficult and frustrating. This time last week I had no idea what I was going to do, not having a car. And then I was blessed to find my Forenza. I really don't know how I managed to find a 2005 with onyl 112,000 miles on it, but I did, and with the help of my dad, I was able to purchase it. There are a few minor things that are getting fixed right now, but I will have it by the end of the week when I go home for my birthday. It feels good to know that I actually bought myself a car, and it's only 6 years old, and I am going to have it for a long time. (Does that mean I am growing up? Haha.) It's a great feeling, becoming more and more independent.

I've also completed another semester at Western. This one was especially hard. I took a dangerous cocktail of required classes that everyone said I was crazy for cramming into one semester, but I came out with a good GPA and was very pleased with myself. I know I can do it...but I also know I could have done better. The distractions in my life were a little overwhelming, and that is something I need to figure out this semester, and quick. My main problem is that I don't manage time well like I used to. I usually have exceptional organizational and time management skills, but with all the things that happened, I feel like I lost them. Time to rediscover the productive and efficient girl I used to be.

I'm really excited to move forward in both FMA and SPO. I was promoted to the Creative Director of the Food Marketing Association, and I rushed last semester for Sigma Phi Omega. I was also elected to be secretary of the fraternity and I am really liking the position so far. I am so glad that I decided to rush...I have made so many new friends in SPO and also gotten closer to old friends. I feel like I am really a part of something that is useful and meaningful to me, and that has been the greatest reward yet. This semester should be great...we already have a lot of career development, sports, and community service events planned and being able to do all of it and with a great group of friends has really added a lot of value and purpose to my life. :)

Aaron has also played a pretty big role in my life since August. We've been dating for almost four months now...it seems like the time has flown. The one thing I appreciate the most about having him in my life is how much fun we have together. Given all of the activities I am involved in and having two jobs, we somehow find time to just enjoy eachother's company. I feel like at this point in my life, that is truly a Godsend. He kind of holds me all together and makes me feel like I can actually accomplish all of the crazy mess of things I take on at school. Even if we are sitting at home at my parent's house, he makes me smile. Laughter is so important, and we laugh together, everyday. While I know laughter isn't the sole foundation of a lasting relationship, true happiness with another person is...and I think laughter is a damn good start. :) With that said, I am looking forward to seeing where things go in the future, but for now, I am just sticking to dating. I kind of rushed into my last relationship, and while it grew into a marriage and lasted 5 years, it ended regretably. At this point, testing the waters is the farthest I am willing to go, because I don't want to repeat the mistakes I made. Plus I am still young...and I have no idea where my path is going. The possibilities after graduation are endless...so many of my friends from Food/CPG Marketing are all over the country, and I am excited to see where my journey takes me. I can't restrict myself to any individual place or person at this point...I just have to wait and see.

No comments: